In Part 1 of this project, I covered the glass and started forming the tree roots. Now it's time to finish the trunk and add flowers and leaves.
…Stacking, packing and extruding - I lost track of how many times I did this.
Placing each root with care.
More and more.
I use a rubber tipped clay shaper to reach where my "log fingers" can't.
Adding the last bit to the trunk.
Placing the branches.
The finished trunk - finally - I wonder how many curls and snakes I shaped.
Now I start adding the leaves. I cut moderately thin slices from the leaf cane and then using my needle tool (my own invention of a needle tipped mechanical pencil - it's like a real pencil - I just have to remind myself not to make any notes with it!) I add tiny grooves to the sides. I later found this wasn't necessary, that when I dent each section it forms ruffles with or without the grooves.
Placing each leaf with care.
More leaves added and still so many more to go.
All the leaves in place - this time I did count - just for fun: there are 135 leaves on this tree!
And now for the flowers. I cut slices and then bring the pink base together.
Using my trusty upholstery needle, I pick up each petal, lay it on the tree and then press it into place with my finger tip.
Next I add texture.
The finished tree. When I started this design it was to be a forest tree with sparrows, owls and woodpeckers, but I think it has more the look of a tropical tree - it's funny how designs develop sometimes. So instead of sparrow nests and speckled eggs this tree is going to be the abode of toucans. (Next time I'll try to stick to sparrows - actually this design has giving flight to a lot of new ideas…)
One last look at the trunk. Next time you see this hole it will be a toucan nest. I'm off to create the toucans…
See Part 3 of this project here.